The gentlest of souls

.
I have no idea who this man is, but I came across this photo at Pets of Homeless and it reminded me of a man I saw last winter...

My husband and I had just sat down in a café with a cup of coffee when we saw something truly moving unfold outside the window. A homeless man and his dog - the most precious little Jack-Russel terrier - came to a spot outside the window (on a busy shopping street) and began to 'arrange' his spot for selling magazines for the benefit of the homeless. It was really cold, so he had an old bag full of blankets and plastic sheets which he bagan to unfold. It was almost like watching a sacred ceremony. There was definetely an order to it and to top off the pile of blankets he laid a sleeping bag on top. And then what happened?? He gently lifted his little dog into the sleeping bag and began tucking the sleeping bag and blankets around him. The little dog then did his 'job' and sat there in the pile of blankets and looked SO adorable.

My husband went outside and had a little chat with the man and asked him the name of the dog and gave him a little donation for food for the dog. When my husband walked away the man bent down and tucked the money under the blanket underneath the dog.

After we'd finished our coffee I went up to the man and bought a magazine and to say hello to Max - the little dog! I have no idea of this mans destiny but he was the gentlest of souls and his kindness to his dog really left a mark in me.

*****

Pets of Homeless is a nonprofit volunteer organization that provides pet food and veterinarian care to the homeless and less fortunate in local communities across the United States and Canada.


Comments

Heart2Heart said…
This is so amazing. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to read this. I will be linking your story to my blog ARK for God and have others stop by and read this amazing story.

I too would have bought a couple of magazines and offered money on top of that.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Popular Posts